Friday, September 9, 2011

French Concert

This is a continuation of my day after visiting the Holy Sepulcher.

I know I need to crop out my finger - I've gotten much better at using my iphone as my camera, so this shouldn't happen anymore...anyways, this is down in West Jerusalem - the Modern part of the city.

This map is also in West Jersualem - if you click on it to make it larger - notice how Jerusalem is at the center of the world.  I thought it was interesting.
 So the previous night Brother Ohman (President I should say - he's the Branch President and organist here) had all of us play the piano or sing to see what level of talent we had.  That's when I got to play the organ too. It's an insanely incredible organ by the way.  People come from all over just to hear concerts on the organ.  They also come for other concerts.  The JC provides musical performances every Sunday night and other nights throughout the week.  Anyways, Sister Ohman had asked for 5 ushers, and after all of my ushering at BYU this last year I was eager to volunteer.  Sarah and I ran up to her and wrote our names down.  The next night I "ushered" in the Art Exhibit with another girl named Tiffany (from Wyoming) and it was SO much fun!  Israelis and a bunch of other Jews from all over the world (not kidding) including the US came to the concert, about 40 people on standby.  They were so fun to talk to and loved getting to know us.  They couldn't believe I had only been here a day and was already put to work.  You can see in the picture below how packed it was - it was completely filled - I hadn't any idea how well known the Jerusalem Center is.  And the concert was amazing.



Me and Tiffany (I was still borrowing some clothes)

The entire concert was in French.  Piano and Flute music written by French composer s and then French Opera.  The Opera singer was the skinniest little thing, but had this incredible, booming voice.  And of course I loved the French.
The security on our internet here is so high that it's difficult to do much, but you will all have to see one or two of the videos that I took during the concert either when I get home or if I get the chance to upload it somewhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment